Child found tangled in window blind cord, nearly suffocates

Why is child safety needed?

In a harrowing incident that underscores the dangers lurking in everyday household items, a child was found entangled in the cords of window blinds, leading to a near-fatal situation. The distressing event unfolded just before 3:35 p.m. on Thursday, as reported by the Logan Fire Department.

The initial distress call painted a grim picture, with the child reportedly not breathing. However, in a race against time, family members managed to free the child from the perilous grip of the window blind cords. By the time the emergency crews arrived, mere minutes after the call, the child had been revived through CPR, crying and breathing, a testament to the quick action taken by those at the scene.

What did Fire Department do?

Following the immediate response, the Logan Fire Department administered what they described as “aggressive patient care,” ensuring the child was stable enough to be transported to a local hospital. The child’s journey to recovery didn’t stop there, as they were subsequently transferred to a specialized facility in the Salt Lake City area. The current state of the child’s health remains closely guarded, with no updates provided to the media.

This incident brings to light the ongoing concerns surrounding corded window coverings, which the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has identified as one of the top five hidden hazards in American homes. The dangers associated with window blind and shade cords are not to be underestimated, as they pose a significant strangulation risk to infants and children who might accidentally become entangled in them.

Who can help?

Recognizing the gravity of this issue, the Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) has been at the forefront of advocating for the use of safer alternatives. The council strongly encourages parents and caregivers to opt for cordless window coverings or those with inaccessible cords, especially in environments inhabited by young children. This proactive stance is part of a broader effort to mitigate the risks associated with corded window treatments and safeguard the well-being of our most vulnerable.

In a landmark move towards enhancing safety standards, a significant shift in the market landscape for window coverings was marked by the implementation of a new safety standard on December 15, 2018. This pivotal regulation mandates that a vast majority of window covering products sold in the U.S. must either be cordless or feature inaccessible or short cords. This applies to stock products available in both physical stores and online platforms, covering over 80 percent of all window covering products in the U.S. market.

The introduction of this safety standard represents a crucial step forward in the ongoing battle against the hidden hazards posed by corded window coverings. It underscores a collective commitment to preventing such tragedies and highlights the importance of ongoing vigilance and education in ensuring the safety of our homes.

Family members discovered the child caught in the cord just before 3:35 p.m. Thursday, according to the Logan Fire Department….[Read More]

Shopping Cart